Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Task Five - Feed Your Reader; Begin to Build a Reading Habit

Okay, Anna Watkins was right.... Readers work great!

I added three of my own web sites of interest to my Google Reader. The Escapist is a roleplaying game advocacy site, where I do a little writing too. Moon Design Studios publishes Glorantha, my favorite roleplaying setting. Guo Jian is a artist in China. I met him on my last trip, and now I can more easily keep up with changes to his website.


I also added reader links for everyone else in the current Pi 2.0 course. I already had Kemi from a previous exercise. I also added Bridget and Jo. They have shared a bunch of interesting thoughts, mostly around discovering, managing, and balancing technology for self and classroom.


I added Word of the Day from Dictionary.com as a fun site. Most of the others were not of interest to me. When I looked through the blog search engines and organizers, I found little to draw me. I don't read Sports, Entertainment, and so forth except as it intersects China


I made a custom News Feed at Google News. I had it search "China" and added the feeder link thus created to my reader. I checked results for "Glorantha", but it came back with only one source, that in French, so I think I already have the sites I need for my obscure hobby.


I like this reader system, though it has me looking back at my bookmarks to see what I should include and what I should move to a more systematic bookmark system. I have a gazillion bookmarks.


Now I am supposed to check my feeds for five to seven days to get used to reading them as a habit. I am eager to move forward with Pi 2.0, but maybe I should cool my heels for a bit and digest all of this.

2 comments:

  1. Readers can make the life of those of us who do receive the majority of their information from the web easier. I find it best if you don't get too much in your reader though...if I have too much, I tend to avoid it. Don't make it static - take out the feeds you don't find yourself wanting to check all the time, but don't be afraid to add new ones. You can always take them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already know what you mean. I removed the Google news feed I'd created. It was way too much volume and mostly business news repeated over and over again in different places.

    ReplyDelete