Saturday, February 6, 2010

Task One - What Is Web 2.0 and Why Does It Matter?

I've spent the last few days exploring all of the pages linked to Task One and found, heard, and saw lots of interesting ideas that were new to me.

Student-built wiki study guides jumped out at me early on from "A Day in the Life of Web 2.0" I'd like to do something with that. The other elements of "A Day" were either quite familiar or novel enough that I'll stick with my first idea and come back for more later.

(I wish I could use the Tab key to indent in most of these inline text boxes. Grumble.) [Ooooo, and now I can in Blogger! Most excellent.]

Then I went into the other link, "Web 2.0: A Guide for Educators." I was having fun, getting lost exploring, and not sure at time when I was still working on the assignment. I kept having to check back to the main text to be sure that I was following the drift of the assignment and article and not just exploring something I'd discovered along the way to the exclusion of following the authors' main ideas. As Bridget mentioned in her blog, I'm testing out the system like a real kid! I had to write an article this weekend too, so I left the Web 2.0 task page open and switched back and forth between my two homework assignments over the last couple of days. It seems to have worked.

Anyway, I like Google Reader but don't like Bloglines, as it is much more cumbersome to enter sites. I also re-inroduced myself to delicious. It's cool to be able to have my bookmarks online, but I don't like the way it organizes them. I guess it's handy to be able to share link interests like Facebook, but it seems to be more work than handy. In the end, I want to have my bookmarks and other such discoveries in one place and not be updating multiple databases. For now, having them all in Safari works just fine.

[I think a bunch of links above might not work since they are my personal accounts. I need to find out what to copy and paste to give people the accessible link.]

[I just tried to make the Facebook one work. I can't find an alternative to my own login for the other two. Hmmmmm.]

I actually like working in Firefox better, but some setting in my computer's system, even though it's new won't allow me to download anything, so I mostly stick to Safari.

Next were the blogs and podcasts. I found that for me, they take a lot of sitting time to absorb. I can't do much else while I listen, yet they have a hard time holding my attention with just audio. I'm better with a book or a video.

I think that covers my adventures thus far....

Won't it be interesting when the internet can transmit smell and taste? Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work including all your links!
    You may also give Google Chrome a look for yet another option for web browsing. I think you can sync your bookmarks in Chrome so that you can access them from multiple computers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea! I was just getting used to juggling Safari and Firefox....

    ReplyDelete