Sunday, February 14, 2010

Task 9 - Social Bookmarking with Delicious

Okay, time to go Delicious. I have a Delicious account, but this allows me to explore it more. Delicious looks different than depicted in the overview materials and tutorials. Some buttons are in different places, and it's organized a little differently. The CommonCraft video link didn't allow me to play it, since I am not a Friend of the sender. My favorite quote from the syllabus page is, "To actually visit a "discovered" site, try right-clicking the link and selecting "open in new tab" or "open in new window". That way, you won't lose your delicious results." Delicious results: I love it!

I searched for "China" and found more than a quarter million other user bookmarks. I explored some in English and some in Chinese. It's interesting to see all of a person's tag categories and get an immediate sense of their range of interests expressed on the net. I found China Web Radar, a site about Web 2.0 in China. When I searched Glorantha, I found only sites I already knew. I subscribed to the "Glorantha" tag to keep track of new game sites in my favorite setting.

I installed the Bookmarklet buttons into Chrome for easier access, and I uploaded all of my newer bookmarks from Safari to Delicious. I cannot find any sign that Chrome allows export of bookmarks, which is weird. Bookmarklets are not as quick or handy as the Delicious buttons that Safari and Firefox user have. I need to see if I can get it to run more smoothly. There's more jumping around among pages in the version I have compared to the one in the video.

I grouped some similar bookmarks into AsianAmericans as a bundle.

I looked up "China maps" among others' bookmarks. I added an interactive Shanghai subway map, Province Populations Compared to Nations, World as Chinese Zodiac Animals, China and the World Map of the Internet, a NYT interactive map on immigration, Maps of China with many more local maps, and a map of Chinese restaurants nationally and in Georgia. Then I added "pi20" as an extra tag for each of these sites in my Delicious account. That was easy with the edit button in Delicious.

I added Amy (avalk) to my network. I'd like to add other people. All in all, Delicious has yet to show its real potency, but that will surely take time as I accumulate links with other people that enjoy some of the same kinds of links.

No comments:

Post a Comment