Saturday, February 6, 2010

Task Two - Blogging One - Become a Blogger

Okay, so I've already chimed in a bit on today's adventures by editing my first two posts and adding some pesky parenthetical comments. As for Task Two, blogging....

The discovery audio was a good, quick overview of possibilities. Thank goodness! I have such a hard time sitting and listening to audio. I think this Pi 2.0 has taught me something very important about myself already, not to mention the technological discoveries, which I will now mention.


I've sort of had some experience with blogging with my China trip "blog" at Wikispaces. Amy counseled me to be careful with blogs in China, so I put all of entries into the trip wiki instead. It will be interesting to see how the somewhat different structure of an actual blog will feel different. Of course, no one added comments to my wiki.


I should create a blog for my Games and Education work, which has been torpid of late. Maybe I will just start with describing and discussing what I do in the classroom and in the afterschool and summer camp programs. Then, there's a blog about China, Ancient Egypt, China trip....


I did find it funny to hear someone saying, "People that want to hear what you have to say," in the audio introduction. I do get the valuable reasons for blogging then discussed there and in later material, but it raises laughable images of the constant Twitt and such. I think part of the reason I chuckle is just that it is so amazing that we can all do this kind of stuff!


Google Blog Search didn't produce much of interest. There's very little gaming and loads of China! I found Technorati a bit easier to use, but nothing really grabbed me enough to want to add it to my reader and read it all of the time. Unless I'm supposed to find something.


Again, I had to suppress a chuckle for the next article, "Blogging - It's good for you," but I get it! The article got my attention. I'd like to have kids write more about themselves, and blogs or wikis could be a good way to do that, as long as it was secure in some way. Blogs as journals, kvetching to teacher, class, community, and calming self and increasing understanding as in our class Issues meetings, that would all be good. For myself as a blogger, it's about balancing expression with development, though expression certainly sometimes is development, whether in insights in my own musings or someone else's reaction, but see quote above.


Connecting is such a huge part of Web 2.0. This creates opportunities and issues for my students, for I don't want them to connect with the wrong sorts of things or people. For me, it can all be an overload. I'm almost afraid that blogging, Facebook, and such, while rich in their own ways will connect me to enough people that I won't feel that I can interact meaningfully with them and end up retreating a bit, leaving us all less than satisfied. I want to be aware of my own predilections as I go forward into this brave new world.


Hey, this blogging thing is therapeutic! I wonder how many people want to read it?

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. Blogging is therapeutic. The great thing is you can talk about whatever you want. No one has to read it. It just feels good to get it out. It does tickle me if others find what I have to say interesting.

    I agree with you, connecting is the most important aspect of Web 2.0. I'm starting to realize how many opportunities I am missing to educate my students by not knowing about or how to use this technology.

    By the way, I did try your hyperlink on your last comment to me. It didn't work. : )

    Have you figured how to make a permalink? I created links in my last post, but I don't think they're permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kemi! I think if you highlight a section of text and then choose the link icon just above the box for composing a new entry or editing an old one, you can paste a URL into a box and link it permanently to the text. Is that what you mean, or am I not responding to the question you are asking?

    ReplyDelete