Thursday, March 4, 2010

Final Exam

Overall, the best aspect of this course was that it increased many times my confidence in these new areas. I'm sure I will still pester Amy, Brandon, and Tami on a regular basis, but now I feel better able to explore many topics on my own, and I see the value and the mechanisms in making this so.

I found the big, basic elements like Google Reader, wikis, blogging, Delicious, and such the most inspiring and useful right off the bat. Many of the tools that I began to examine excitedly turned out to be less so, but many I will keep in mind. Task 8, exploring Delicious, was actually the most difficult to do, for with the Google Chrome bookmarklets, it was much more cumbersome than usual to work with it. I am now exploring some extensions and patches for Google Chrome. I wouldn't, though, change much of anything about the course. The diversity of topics and approaches fosters a richer way to think about the opportunities and challenges presented by the new and developing aspects of the web. Some lessons were more engaging than others or have proven to have more legs in the classroom, but everything was stimulating and exposed me to ideas I'd never considered before.

I'm using Google Reader every day and continue to tweak it. I have several ideas for wikis related to my work with China, Egypt, and game. Becca and I will definitely continue to develop wiki work with the kids, and we have some new ideas for the class web page, especially including many more links. When I have more time, I do want to catalog our classroom books with LibraryThing.

Then I ran across Muppets Meet the Internet. Beaker is awesome!

I appreciate the time and effort that's gone in to this training. Thanks, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. David: Great job! It is fun to see people enjoy learning new things and how they might apply them. Please send me the links to your projects as you get to them. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing Pi 2.0! Thanks for being such a willing and enthusiastic participant - I really enjoyed reading your blog. I know you were already aware of many of the tools we used, but I hope this course allowed you to think about how to further use them in your classroom, as well as for professional development. I do hope you continue to "pester" us in the tech office - we're always happy to help!

    ReplyDelete